Surgery Day!!

Prep for Surgery

Well, after 4 solid months I finally managed to get in and get my knee fixed. Yes, it took 4 stinking months.

Why 4 months you ask? Well, it was a combination of things.

I started by going to the doctor that performed the surgery last year – oh yeah, I had the same surgery last year. I couldn’t get scheduled with him, timing was off and since I spend a lot of time on the road it made things difficult. Either way, I went to one of his colleagues and the quality of service just wasn’t what I wanted. So then I had to start all over with another doctor, that was complicated by my travel again – see a trend?

Either way, by brother from another mother, referred me to his orthopedic surgeon. One meeting with Dr. Kelly and I was sold. He, and his entire team, were extremely courteous and genuinely appeared to be interested in helping me get things situated. That was a nice change. I highly recommend them, so if you’re Southern California, in the Temecula area and need an orthopedic surgeon let Dre or I know.

As for the results of today’s surgery, things in general turned out really well. Doc was a bit late, but as he squeezed me in I can’t really complain about that. I did have a funny anesthesiologist, big black guy, really soft spoken – had a hard time hearing him. He was pretty mono-tone the whole conversation. There was one part, where he tells you about the possible complications that I, and my wife, thought was hilarious. So there he is, telling about the 20 or so things that can go wrong and naturally I’m nodding my head, then he stops, pauses, and follows it up with ‘DEATH’. That’s it, doesn’t say anything else, just stops there. It was one of the funniest moments of the day. Jess – my wifey – and I stared at him and each other and both had to fight the sudden urge to start laughing; you’d all be proud, we held it together.

From there we proceeded into the OR room. This was pretty cool, in my past experience they always knocked me out before hand – not this time. I wonder if it’s because I’m a big dude and they didn’t want to worry about moving me from one bed to the other. Either way, I thought it was pretty neat. They strapped me in, got me all wired up and we were ready to go. I was hoping the doc would have had me count to 10; I had been practicing by counting really fast over and over – I really wanted to reach 10. But he didn’t. Next thing I know I was in the recover room. Ain’t that something.

I recently watched a movie, forget the name, where the patient had an outer body experience while in surgery. I know it was only a movie, but I can’t help but think about that every time I go in for surgery. Fortunately, that didn’t happen this go around.

It turns out that everything turned out well. I had a 1 1/4″ tear in my meniscus, the good news is its fixed the bad news is it was a bit more invasive than we expected, putting me on crutches for 6 weeks and slowing the recovery a tad. But it’s all good, what else do I have to do..:)

Well, that’s about it for today folks. Talk to you soon. Thanks for visiting PerezBox.

Oh and much love to my wifey, @mrsperezbox, for spending the day with me. Show her some love, she just broke her Twitter cherry today..:)



  1. dre on November 4, 2010 at 5:11 am

    Dude, I woke up still counting, they use magic ninja sauce at that place :D

    • tony on November 4, 2010 at 6:20 am

      Ha Ha.. Ten, Ten.. first words out of my mouth.. but it was over..:(

Leave a Comment